Wednesday 10 January 2007

A new family

Right I don´t really have that many new photos to show (except for the one to the left of me stuffing my face with watermelon at fantastic artisan market - very restrained with the shopping so far but not for long) so instead I thought I´d impress everyone with a picture of the volcano I climbed last week (above). I was really hoping for another eruption while I am here - fortunately it´s far enough away from the city for Quito not to have to be evacuated and it would be amazing to see. If all else fails I´ll head to Banos which is where the volcano there erupted just last september... Since I last wrote I have a new family! I am staying with Mariano, Pepe and their handsome 28 year old son Santiago (photos will follow) and they haven´t stopped feeding me since I arrived. Every meal is three courses - usually a soup made from grain (surprisingly creamy and much more delicious than it sounds) followed by the main course - platanas (which look like but don´t taste like bananas - very sweet) are a speciality, with rice, salad and a couple of fried eggs perched on top. And then for dessert the obligatory ecuadorian icecream (well it would be rude not to...) And all day every day I am speaking Spanish. My school is a short walk down the road and although La Mariscal is not as pretty as the Colonial area (where I was staying before) it was definitely the right move because I can´t cheat and my Spanish is improving fast. The school also organises trips into the jungle where you can continue your lessons whilst learning about the indigenous tribes who live there and the natural habitat, so I am planning a five day trip in a couple of weeks, then hopefully hopefully fingers crossed a visit to the Galapagos islands! (if i haven´t run out of money). So much to do so little time.... That´s all for now I have a class so signing off. Adios x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh it's that Rachel. Funny how I only recognise you stuffing your face. Nice melons - have fun. Roger F x

Anonymous said...

Come on then.....you've built him up, and now we need to see evidence of this Ecuadorian hunk you've found yourself living with!!