Saturday 6 January 2007

Friday was definitely supposed to be a day of rest, particularly since after yesterday's exertions I can hardly move my legs. But after my four hour Spanish lesson in the morning, we decided on a trip to the Mitad Del Mundo (the Equator). Somehow the pre-Inca settlers worked out exactly where the Meridian line crossed the equator - think i have this right? - and now a whole village has grown up around the area. Unfortunately our little group weren't quite so clever and it took us nearly an hour just to find the right bus. But the journey was worth it - I got to practice some of my Spanish asking for directions, and even understood the answer (once the guy had pointed). The bus ride was a couple of hours and even though I'm growing used to the spectacular landscape it is still an incredible feling to be surrounded by so many volcanos. Chimborazo is the tallest and its summit is the highest point from the centre of the earth. So of course we got there really late, with only the chance to stand astride the line, and then to find out that the actual centre according to those spoilsports who invented GPS is actually about a mile up the road! I am definitely going to go back now I know the right way to get there so I can say I really was at exactly 0 degrees 0'0".

No comments: